Saturday, May 17, 2008

Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden & Bird Sanctuary

"A tree with its delicate tracery

of leafless branches

is a thing of beauty to eyes

that are adjusted to see it.
"

~ Eloise Butler


Tyler's best friend, Jacob, joined us for our nature walk today. We decided to check out the Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden & Bird Sanctuary. It turned out to be a gorgeous afternoon, despite some sprinkles during the drive there. The kids really enjoyed themselves and got to see a lot of neat things in nature. I took quite a few photos so here is a little slideshow...



We also worked on our Outdoor Hour Challenge #5 today... Keeping a List. Our focus area right now is Birds, so we are creating a list of all of the birds that we see during our walks. I used Melissa's Bird List. I have added all of the Birds we have seen so far to it as well as the two we saw today (Black-Capped Chickadee and American Redstart). I have it clipped in the front of my Nature Journal so that we can update it as we return from our walks. I also grabbed a little spiral-bound notebook today. I thought I could keep that in my pocket when I don't bring my Nature Journal on our walks in case we want to jot down the things we see along the way for adding to our Journals and Bird list later.

No comments: